Parents charged after boy dies from carbon monoxide poisoning

Police: Child dies from possible carbon monoxide poisoning, father taken to hospital (KTUL)

TULSA, Okla. (KTUL) -- The parents of a boy who died last month from carbon monoxide poisoning are being charged in connection with his death.

Eight-year-old Noah Cruz died March 24 after being found unresponsive at his family's home near 31st Street and south 129th East Avenue. His father, Noel Cruz, was hospitalized but recovered.

Police say the boy's mother was out of town and couldn't reach the family, so her sister went to check on them and found them both unconscious. A vehicle was running in an attached garage and a door leading into the home was open.

Noah Cruz was confined to a wheelchair, unable to walk, after being diagnosed with spinal muscular atrophy. According to court documents, he needed help getting in and out of the chair.

Noel Cruz is now being charged with second-degree murder and possession of methamphetamine. The boy's mother, Zanetta Campbell, is charged with permitting child neglect.

According to court documents, Noel Cruz told investigators his son was playing video games in a bedroom while he went into the garage, started his vehicle and began drinking, initially telling investigators he only had one beer but later admitting to more. When asked about methamphetamine found in his vehicle, the affidavit says Noel Cruz said it belonged to a friend. He said he was in a drug rehabilitation program after being confronted about amphetamine being found in his system while he was in the hospital.

Investigators also spoke to Noah Cruz's 13-year-old sister who recounted finding her father "passed out" in his vehicle in the garage while the vehicle was running.

Court documents also show Campbell, Noah's mother, was aware of Noel Cruz's long history of drug abuse and domestic violence. The affidavit references a January 2017 incident in which Noel Cruz was arrested after choking, hitting and biting Campbell.